Beta vulgaris (Amaranthaceae family)
- Can be sown earlier (F) outdoors with protection (cloches, fleece)
- Can be sown indoors in seed startes (late winter) and then planted out under protection
Basic plant info & growing requirements.
Life cicle & growing season.
- Biennial grown as an annual
- Cool season
- Easy, suitable for beginners!
- pH: 6.5 – 7
- Light & fertile soil
- Not too much nitrogen
- High in phosphorus
How to sow / plant.
- Sow: 1-2 seeds (most varieties come in clusters) every 8-10cm, 2-3cm deep, in rows 30 cm apart
- Plant: 8-15cm among plants, in rows 30cm apart
- Keep the soil moist by mulching
- Remember to water during dry spells
- Remove weeds regularly
Pest & diseases.
- Relatively trouble free
Good association with.
Bad association with.
Crop rotation guide coming up soon!
References and further information.
This is an easy to follow basic growing guide for those who are new to vegetable gardening. Adapt these broad guidelines to your local weather conditions and your plot’s characteristics. Remember, gardening is not an exact science!
To ask advice, comment and share about sowing/planting/harvesting dates, best plant varieties for your plot… what’s better than connecting to other growers in our Greenius gardening community?
- Hamilton G., 2011. Organic Gardening. DK Publishing, New York.
- Klein C., 2007. Grow your own veg (RHS). Mitchell Beazley, Great Britain.